Gaithersburg, MD woman has won the prestigious 2023 Helen W. Mathews Award for Community Service.
A Gaithersburg woman, Dana Precious, has received the prestigious 2023 Helen W. Mathews Award for Community Service. The award is given annually by the Montgomery County Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) to recognize an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the community through social work.
Precious is the founder and executive director of the nonprofit organization, Reading Partners of Montgomery County. The organization provides one-on-one tutoring to elementary school students who are struggling to read. Precious has also worked with homeless veterans, helping them to find housing and employment.
In her acceptance speech, Precious said that she was "humbled and honored" to receive the award. She said that she is committed to "making a difference in the lives of others" and that she will continue to work to "make Montgomery County a better place for everyone."
The Helen W. Mathews Award is named after Helen W. Mathews, a social worker who was a pioneer in the field of child welfare. Mathews was the founder of the Montgomery County Department of Social Services and served as its director for over 20 years.
The Montgomery County Chapter of NASW is proud to honor Dana Precious with the Helen W. Mathews Award for Community Service. Precious is a true inspiration and her work has made a real difference in the lives of many people in our community.
Here are some of the specific things that Dana Precious has done to make a difference in the community:
- Founded and executive directed Reading Partners of Montgomery County, a nonprofit organization that provides one-on-one tutoring to elementary school students who are struggling to read.
- Worked with homeless veterans, helping them to find housing and employment.
- Served on the board of directors of the Montgomery County Homeless Commission.
- Volunteered at the Montgomery County Food Bank.
- Mentored young people through the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.
Dana Precious is a true community leader and her work has made a real difference in the lives of many people. She is a deserving recipient of the Helen W. Mathews Award for Community Service.