How to Respond to Tornado Warnings in Gaithersburg
Tornadoes can be very dangerous and it's important to know what to do if you receive a tornado warning in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Here are some steps you can take to stay safe:
1. Stay informed: Keep an eye on the weather and listen to local news or a NOAA Weather Radio to stay updated on tornado watches and warnings.
2. Know where to go: If you are in a building, go to a pre-designated shelter area such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar, or the lowest building level. If there is no basement, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls.
3. Protect yourself: Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck.
4. Don't wait: If you are in a mobile home, a vehicle, or outdoors, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.
5. Stay put: Do not try to outrun a tornado in a vehicle. Instead, leave the vehicle immediately and seek shelter in a nearby building or lie flat in a low spot and cover your head with your hands.
Remember, tornadoes can strike quickly and without warning. It's important to have a plan in place and know what to do if you receive a tornado warning. Stay safe! 😊
Source: Conversation with Bing, 7/23/2023